Re: sound and scsi pci MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE entries? (primary for Alan Cox)

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2000 - 01:17:58 EST

"Adam J. Richter" wrote:
> Hello Alan,
>
> Jeff Garzik tells me that you, with some help from some other
> kernel developers, are hacking on the sound drivers right now. I
> would like to add PCI MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE entries to three of
> the four PCI sound drivers: cmpci, cs46xx and nm256_audio.
> (I have already sent a similar patch to Zach Brown for maestro,
> although that was a port to the new PCI interface.) This will
> enable depmod to record the PCI ID's that they care about in
> /lib/modules/<version>/modules.pcimap, which, in turn, will
> enable more automated module loading based on hardware configuration.

I responded to Adam in private, but wanted to speak up in public too:
these changes sound ok with me. The patches change no code logic, they
export the supported PCI ids to userspace, and make the transition to
the new PCI API a tiny bit easier.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik             |
Building 1024           | The chief enemy of creativity is "good" sense