[Fwd: [Linux-usb-users] Re: 2.4.0-test11-pre7 -- The USB ORB Drive works vastly better when the media is formatted with FAT32.]

From: Miles Lane (miles@speakeasy.org)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 04:04:37 EST

Dear kernel hackers,

I am forwarding this message to you because the problem discussed
touches on several areas of the kernel: filesystems, SCSI and
USB.

I am including my original bug report sent to linux-usb-users
here:

---------------------

As you may or may not have been aware, there have been complaints
for a while that data transfer rates when writing to an EXT2
partition has been less than stellar. People have invariably
comparing Windoze with VFAT formatted ORB media with Linux and
EXT2 formatted media.

Last night I went through a series of tests where I tried
EXT2 formatted with varying block sizes. I found that the larger
the block size, the better the transfer rate. The largest allowable
blocksize for EXT2 is 4096.

Now, the transfer rate for copying /usr/src/xc to /mnt/orb1/test
was as follows:

One Linux Partition + EXT2 2140 KB / 159 secs. = 13.5 KB / sec.
using a 1KB block size

One Linux Partition + EXT2 7296 KB / 149 secs. = 48 KB / sec.
using a 4KB block size

One Linux Partition + FAT32 88512 KB / 78 secs. = 1,134 KB / sec.
One Linux Partition + FAT32 192192 KB / 233 secs. = 824 KB / sec.
Linux partition + FAT32 162912 KB / 133 secs. = 1,224 KB / sec.
Linux partition + FAT32 96296 KB / 198 secs. = 486 KB / sec.
Win95 FAT32 partition + FAT32 116640 KB / 120 secs. = 972 KB / sec.
Win95 FAT32 partition + FAT32 160912 KB / 313 secs. = 514 KB / sec.

I would really appreciate it if someone better able to analyze
the usb-storage logs and lowlevel filesystem activity would determine
why I am seeing such huge variability in throughput.

Note that with all the tests, I was copying a portion of /usr/src/xc
to /mnt/orb1/test.

Also, I observed that when writing to the FAT32 partitions,
the throughput would occasionally drop off sharply for a few seconds
before resuming a more rapid rate.

I have performed all this testing without USB Storage Debugging
enabled. I wanted to make sure that the overhead of writing the
logfile didn't muddy the results.

All this testing is with 2.4.0-test11-pre7 and the OHCI HCD.

Here's a message that contains the gist of the discussion
thus far: