Re: BTTV detection broken in 2.4.0-test11-pre5

From: Ragnar Hojland Espinosa (ragnar_hojland@eresmas.com)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 10:47:30 EST

On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 07:00:41PM -0800, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > > Writeprotect the flashbios with the motherboard jumper, and remove the
> > > cmos battery.
> > > Checkmate. :-)
> > Only if you run your kernel XIP from the flash. If you load it into RAM,
> > it's still possible for an attacker to modify it. You can load new code
> > into the kernel even if the kernel doesn't make it easy for you by having
> > CONFIG_MODULES defined.
>
> The original assertion made was that a script kiddie could modify the
> kernel so you wouldnt be able to detect a rooted box even after a reboot.
>
> What I posted would stop that cold, 100%. Boot from writeprotected floppy,
> writeprotect the flashbios, and remove the cmos battery.

There was some patch floating around so you could boot a new kernel without
having to reboot. And I'm guessing you could also "box" it into a plex86
vm.

--
____/|  Ragnar Højland     Freedom - Linux - OpenGL      Fingerprint  94C4B
\ o.O|                                                   2F0D27DE025BE2302C