Re: Why not PCMCIA built-in and yenta/i82365 as modules

From: Tobias Ringstrom (tori@tellus.mine.nu)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 05:54:25 EST

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, David Hinds wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 11:34:45PM +0100, Tobias Ringstrom wrote:
> > The subject says it all. Is there any particular (technical) reason why I
> > must have both the generic pcmcia code and the controller support
> > built-in, or build all of them as modules?
>
> Is there a technical reason for this? Not that I know of; but then I
> also cannot think of a good reason for wanting, say, the generic code
> built in but the controller support as modules. I do see reasonable
> arguments for all-builtin or all-modules.

Maybe more a matter of taste, or real life problems. I wanted a kernel
with yenta and i82365 built-in, but I need to specify extra_sockes to the
i82365. There is no way to do this unless it is a module. Then I thought,
why not have yenta build-in, and i82365 as a module, and discovered that
that was not possible. I know, I should add a __setup thingie to i82365,
but...

As for taste, the generic pcmcia code is not a driver, and it would make
sense to me to have that support in the kernel, not in a module.

/Tobias