Re: e2fs performance as function of block size

From: Michael Marxmeier (mike@marxmeier.com)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 17:28:12 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> I see higher performance with 4K block sizes. I should see higher
> latency too but have never been able to measure it. Maybe it depends
> on the file system.
> It certainly depends on the nature of requests

If the files get somewhat bigger (eg. > 1G) having a bigger block
size also greatly reduces the ext2 overhead. Especially fsync()
used to be really bad on big file but choosing a bigger block
size changed a lot.

If the database used by the original poster is based on
something like c-isam then (AFAIR) it is in fact using
1k blocks which may explain the better results of 1k block
size. With a 100 MB file size fs management overhead should
not be that visible.

Michael

--
Michael Marxmeier           Marxmeier Software AG
E-Mail: mike@marxmeier.com  Besenbruchstrasse 9