Re: Is sendfile all that sexy?

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 10:29:25 EST

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Sasi Peter wrote:

> > AIUI, Jeff Merkey was working on loading "userspace" apps into the
> kernel
> > to tackle this sort of problem generically. I don't know if he's
> tried it
> > with Samba - the forking would probably be a problem...
>
> I think, that is not what we need. Once Ingo wrote, that since HTTP
> serving can also be viewed as a kind of fileserving, it should be
> possible to create a TUX like module for the same framwork, that serves
> using the SMB protocol instead of HTTP...

I must admit I'm a bit sceptical - apart from anything else, Jeff's
approach allows a bug in the server software to blow the whole OS away,
instead of just quietly coring! (Or, worse still, trample on some FS
metadata in RAM... eek!) A TUX module would be a nice idea, although I
haven't even been able to find a proper TUX web page - Google just gave
page after page of mailing list archives and discussion about it :-(

James.