Re: hotmail not dealing with ECN

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 20:43:32 EST

H. Peter Anvin writes:
> Last I communicated with them, I looked for a reference like that in the
> standards RFCs so I could quote chapter and verse at the Hotmail people,
> but I couldn't find it.

RFC793, where is lists the unused flag bits as "reserved".
That is pretty clear to me. It just has to say that
they are reserved, and that is what it does.

> Right, but there is a whole mythos around which version of IOS does what
> without breaking something. I can certainly understand that people are
> reluctant to upgrade if they don't have to.

As far as I understand it, the PIIX stuff doesn't run IOS but rather
some other system created for these firewall products.

Moot point. I understand that upgrading can be a pain, but I think
it is in their best interest to do so (see better internet and "make
money" arguments).

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com