Re: Possible Bug: drivers/sound/maestro.c

From: Michael B. Trausch (fd0man@crosswinds.net)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 18:43:05 EST

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Barry K. Nathan wrote:

> I haven't done any sound stuff with 2.4 on my Dell Inspiron 5000e, but I
> have this problem (or a similar one, anyway -- sometimes the sound becomes
> distorted or comes only through one speaker) under both Linux 2.2 and
> Win2K. If it was just Linux, I'd assume it was a driver problem, but the
> fact that I'm getting very similar misbehavior from both Linux and Win2K
> (I don't have Win98 or ME on the machine, so I can't test that) makes me
> really wonder...

It works PERFECTLY under WinME, when WinME decides that it wants to work,
anyway. If you ask me, $90 for just working sound (and a pretty crappy
rest of the system) is too much. It was a complete waste of
money. Although it did allow me to download the slackware ISO so that I
could put some Linux back on here when I got my new hard drive, Since
Win2k stopped running when I upgraded to 30gb from 4gb.

The mixer under WinME also seems to actually respond better, I get the
full capability of the Maestro mixer under WinME. If I turn it all the
way up under Linux, I still have to turn the speakers damn near all the
way up just to hear it with my baseline on the subwoofer. That's not my
concern tho, since I can compensate with the speakers (they have an
excellent amp on them).

        - Mike