Re: VT82C686A corruption with 2.4.x

From: safemode (safemode@voicenet.com)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2001 - 17:40:31 EST

Tobias Ringstrom wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, safemode wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering... Perhaps it's a problem motherboard specific. I'm
> > using the KA7 and saw pretty bad problems (extreme fs corruption)
> > and bad latency. Perhaps the K7V and the KT7's dont have this problem.
> > I dont see any of the problems with dma enabled on 2.2.x
>
> But are you using the same DMA mode in 2.2 as in 2.4? You can check that
> using hdparm -i, I believe.
>
> /Tobias

yea i know. . same mode i also had a big problem with DMA timeouts on
2.4 so .. i dont know what's up with 2.4 and my motherboard ... 2.2
hasn't shown a single irq or DMA error yet since going back to it.
currently 2.2.19-pre7 is using UDMA4 i just flashed the bios today so ..
hopefully that should have fixed any problems. I get 24MB/s each according
to hdparm -t on my hdd's and both are on the same channel. This is much
better than i ever got with 2.4 even when only one drive was on a channel.
Right now my k7-2 750 is at 849mhz with a FSB of 114Mhz and PCI at 34Mhz.
my nbench performance under 2.2 is comparable to results for 1Ghz t-bird's so
i'm happy with 2.2. The only thing that would make me want to upgrade would
be latency patches. I'm convinced 2.4 has performance issues so i guess i'll
be using 2.2 until 2.5 begins. Is it really only 1 or 2 people having
this Via corruption problem? i doubt it's a bios problem because wouldn't
2.2 be effected by a bios bug if 2.4 is? In either case the changelogs dont
show any fixes for it.