Re: Questions about Enterprise Storage with Linux

From: Jauder Ho (jauderho@carumba.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 00:09:23 EST

http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html should clear up

> 2. Does linux have any problems with large (500GB+) NFS exports, how about
> large files over NFS?

See above

> 3. What filesystem would be best for such large volumes? We currently use
> reirserfs on our internal system, but they generally have filesystems in the
> 18-30GB ranges and we're talking about potentially 10-20x that. Should we
> look at JFS/XFS or others?

I am not sure what you intend this application for. If it is mission
critical in any way shape or form, I would still recommend using something
like Veritas (which unfortunately is not ported to Linux yet). I have
heard good things about XFS although I have not had the chance to use it
yet.

> 4. We're seriously considering using LVM for volume management. Does it
> have size limits per volume or other limitations that we should be aware of?
>
> I'm sure these answers are out there, but I haven't been able to find
> definitive answers (it seems everyone has a different answer to each
> question). Any assistance in pointing me to the correct information would
> be greatly appreciated.

Have fun and do post your findings back to l-k. I would be interested in
hearing what you end up with.

--Jauder