Re: binfmt_script and ^M

From: Thorsten Glaser Geuer (eccesys@topmail.de)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 11:52:40 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Hunter" <sean@dev.sportingbet.com>
To: "Thorsten Glaser Geuer" <eccesys@topmail.de>
Sent: Thursday, 8. March 2001 13:01
Subject: Re: binfmt_script and ^M

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 09:10:26PM -0000, Thorsten Glaser Geuer wrote:

I did not ever say that it depends on the kernel. The kernel _has to_ depend on
_standards_ coz otherwise it wouldn't be POSIX compliant, it wouldn't obey one
of the most basic ISO standards nowadays, etc. etc.
The kernel is faulty, and it has to use &h0D as CARRIAGE RETURN, whenever this
behaviour seems expactable (stress on -able).

> If he's to lame to do:
>
> for i in `find . -type f | grep -l "#! .*perl\r"`; do
> perl -pie 's|\r||g' < $i
> done
>
> ...or...
>
> ln -snf `which perl`{,\r}
>
> ...or...
>
> change his scripts to use "perl -w", which works, and he should use anyway
>
> ...or...
>
> Run his scripts directly by doing "perl /the/path/to/broken/script" (which also
> works)
>
> ...or any of the other solutions that various people suggested

_I_ am not talking about perl coz in my eyes this is waste. But there are numerous
other programmes with problems on it, too.

> ...then why should we accept a kernel patch to fix this non-problem? This is
> just plain ludicrous.
>

> Sean
>

> > The following does _not_ have to do with any US-ASCII or ISO_646.irv:1991
> > standards which IIRC are inherited by POSIX.
> > > And why not make all program use filenames that have an 8+3 char garbled
> > > equivalent where the last 3 are the indicators of the filetype. Oh, and
> > > let's do everything to make sure the user doesn't leave Gnome/KDE.
> > > And of course, let's add new features to all existing protocols and
> > > other standards to make them "superior" to other implementations.
> > > Oh, and of course, we must require an extra 64 MB of memory and
> > > 500 MB of diskspace for each release, and a 200MHz faster processor.
> > > And let us do all system settings through a registry.
> > >
> > > OH! Let's change the name of the operating-system to something more
> > > catchy. Hmmm. Let's see. Windows maybe...
> > > </sarcasm>
> > >

> > > /David
> >
> > I _do_ _not_ like Windoze either, but we live in a world
> > where we have to cope with it. I am even to code windoze
> > apps in order to support linux (no comment on this)...

-mirabilos