Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: SLAB vs. pci_alloc_xxx in usb-uhci patch [RFC: API]

From: Pete Zaitcev (zaitcev@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 17:34:40 EST

> Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 13:14:03 -0800
> From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>

>[...]
> It feels to me like you're being inconsistent here, objecting
> to a library API for some functionality (mapping) yet not for
> any of the other functionality (alignment, small size, poisoning
> and so on). And yet when Pete Zaitcev described what that
> mapping code actually involved, you didn't object. So you've
> succeeded in confusing me. Care to unconfuse?

I did not propose an API or library which would be equal amond equals
with first rate citizens of pci_alloc_xxx and friends. I pointed out
that driver can do tracking of reverse mappings at very little cost
by using offset [Alan remarked to that how hash can use page number];
so, one may say that I supported DaveM's viewpoint. No wonder he did
not object.

-- Pete