Re: Cool Road Runner

From: Padraig Brady (Padraig@AnteFacto.com)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 08:07:23 EST

OK can we just have a technical discussion?

Andre Hedrick wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Steffen Grunewald wrote:

[hostilities snipped]

> Also, several messages earlier I pointed out that I had not documented the
> feature because it was only attempted once, and only with 2 CFA's in a
> bazar ata-bridge.

1. All compact flash have an inbuilt ATA controller. I.E. they can be
     used exactly like a harddisk, directly off the IDE controller of a
motherboard.
     I.E. no need for PCMCIA or any of that. I understood from your
     that you didn't realise this?
2. Compact Flash in this application (I.E. solid state hard disk) is
getting very
     popular as prices are tumbling.

3. Having a config parameter (uneeded kludge in my opinion), like hdx=flash
     even if hdx is not a compact flash is confusing. Can we call it
hdx=probe
     which fits nicely with the noprobe option.

> I then explained why the detection was failing and pointed where to verify.

No you didn't. You mentioned a 30 second timeout, but not why it
was caused. Have you seen this yourself or can you point us at who
reported this to you?

> After 3-5 attempts and I can not get the point across because the other
> party keeps going off in different directions to do "what about this",

Emm, I think *you* were going off describing your application with
a "bazar ata-bridge", not the simple use of a compact flash as a
hard disk.

> I finally pointed out facts that distrub people, and gave up on trying to
> show/present/give the answer and offered to then enforce their beliefs of
> reality.
>
> So I state a few facts very pointed to get their attention again and that
> is additude??

Actually I thought the final email was a little more concise/informative, thanks.

[more hostility snipped]

Padraig.