problem when booting 2.4.3 from a floppy disk

From: François Dupoux (fdupoux@free.fr)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 06:47:10 EST

Hi,

I have a strange bug when trying to boot a kernel-2.4.3 (official release)
from an 1.44 MB floppy disk. Just after the "Loading...........", there is an
infinite loop, and this message is printed:
0200
AX: 0212
BX: BC00
CX: 5101
DX: 0000
0200
AX: 0212
BX: BC00
CX: 5101
DX: 0000

The floppy drive continues to work, and the message is printed by the
infinite loop.

I attached the configuration file made from make xconfig, and the proc file
system to give you more details about my hardware.

The kernel 2.4.3 was compiled for i386. It was only patched with JFS-0.2.2.
The "developement drivers" option was enabled in order to enable the ReiserFS
support. The module support was disabled. The SMP is disabled.

The floppy disk was created with "make bzdisk". It printed:
setup is 2485 bytes
system is 974 kB
122+1 record in/out

I made the "make bzdisk" with 4 differents floppy disks, in order to be sure
my floppy disk was not damaged. I had the same problem, but there was 4
differents error messages (see at the bottom of the mail). The "make bzdisk"
was made with exacly the same configuration. No changes were made betweewn
each "make bzdisk".

I have the same problem if I "make bzImage" and I copy the image by hand with
"dd if=bzImage of=/dev/fd0"

With the same configuration, when I type "make bzImage", and I boot on my
hard-disk with LILO, the kernel-2.4.3 works very well.

I had the same kind of problem with differents kernel versions:
2.2.17, 2.2.18, 2.4.3

But I had no problem with 2.4.2 and 2.2.16.

My hardware configuration:
- intel celeron 433 not overclocked
- 448 MB of RAM
- compiled under Debian 2.2r0 with recompiled kernel-2.4.3
- 2 IDE IBM hard disks (DMA33 and DMA100) -> hda and hdc

Thanks.

--------------- error message with floppy disk 1 -----------
0200
AX: 0212