2.2.19 rpc_execute panic (OK with 2.2.17)

From: Ian Lynagh (igloo@earth.li)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2001 - 05:35:21 EST

Hi all

We have a sun ultra 1 with /proc/cpuinfo as follows:

cpu : TI UltraSparc I (SpitFire)
fpu : UltraSparc I integrated FPU
promlib : Version 3 Revision 1
prom : 3.1.1
type : sun4u
ncpus probed : 1
ncpus active : 1
BogoMips : 333.41
MMU Type : Spitfire

When trying to mount something over NFS with a 2.2.19 kernel we get:

Unsupported unaligned load/store trap for kernel at <00000000004d260c>
Kernel panic: Wheee. Kernel does fpu/atomic unaligned load/store.

Which appears to be in rpc_execute according to System.map:

00000000004d1dc0 T rpc_unlock_task
00000000004d21e0 T rpc_delay
00000000004d2220 t rpc_atrun
00000000004d2240 t __rpc_execute
00000000004d25a0 T rpc_execute
00000000004d2640 t __rpc_schedule
00000000004d27c0 T rpc_allocate
00000000004d28e0 T rpc_free

I have also compiled a 2.2.17 kernel in the same way and that works
fine. We are using the RedHat sparc mount-2.10r-0.6.x RPM. I said no to
the NFS 3 questions when making oldconfig from a 2.2.17 (working)
config. I've attached a diff of the 2 configs.

I've searched the archives but didn't seem to find anything relating to
this. Can anyone suggest a fix? If you need more information to diagnose
the problem please just ask.

I would appreciate it if you were to CC me responses as I am not on the
list.

Thanks in advance
Ian