Re: 2.4.5-ac12 kernel oops

From: Colonel (klink@clouddancer.com)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 11:02:19 EST

In clouddancer.list.kernel, you wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 08:15:49 -0700 (PDT),
>klink@clouddancer.com (Colonel) wrote:
>>ksymoops 2.4.1 on i686 2.4.5-ac12. Options used
>>Warning (compare_maps): mismatch on symbol partition_name , ksyms_base says c01aad00, System.map says c014cba0. Ignoring ksyms_base entry
>>Why the symbol mismatch?
>
>The mismatch is caused by two variables called partition_name. What
>does 'nm vmlinux | grep partition_name' show? Probably one

Can't run that, but :

grep "partition_name" System.map-2.4.5-ac12
00000000c014cba0 t partition_name
00000000c01aad00 T partition_name

>partition_name at c01aad00 and another at c014cba0. Both
>fs/partitions/msdos.c and drivers/md/md.c define that symbol, md

and I have both in the kernel.

>exports its version. A good reason why exported symbols should have
>unique names.

Only the raid5 was active, the msdos stuff is a module for 'just in
case'. Something else triggered this, I've run raid for a long time
without problems.

>>Why ignore /proc over the System.map?
>
>ksymoops has a hierarchy of trust. System.map is more trustworthy than
>/proc/ksyms because ksyms changes, especially if you rebooted after the
>oops and before running ksymoops.

Hmm, I would have thought that /proc was more up to date, because it
would reflect changes. No reboot, never even considered it (I've
rescued too many junior sysadmins that think rebooting is _the_ answer).

--
"Or heck, let's just make the VM a _real_ Neural Network, that self
trains itself to the load you put on the system. Hideously complex and