Re: [UPDATE] Directory index for ext2

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@bonn-fries.net)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 11:10:50 EST

On Monday 25 June 2001 11:46, Tony Gale wrote:
> After some testing, removing the grsecurity patch seems to have solved
> the disappearing-free-space problem. Now just need to find out why.
>
> On 20 Jun 2001 18:58:43 +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 June 2001 16:59, Tony Gale wrote:
> > > The main problem I have with this is that e2fsck doesn't know how to
> > > deal with it - at least I haven't found a version that will. This makes
> > > it rather difficult to use, especially for your root fs.
> >
> > Good, the file format isn't finalized, this is only recommended for use
> > on a test partition.
>
> It was a test partition, just happended to be a root one. AFAIAA, isn't
> the fact that the file format may change irrelevant. You want people to
> test this stuff or not? If it's not tested on a root fs then how do you
> know there won't be any problems.
>
> Sorry, but when someone reports a problem, and then you say, well don't
> test it like that then, it is really not acceptable.

Sure, if your root partition is expendable, by all means go ahead. Ted has
already offered to start the required changes to e2fsck, which reminds me, I
have to send the promised docs. For now, just use normal fsck and it will
(in theory) turn the directory indexes back into normal file blocks, and have
no effect on inodes. Lets take advantage of the opportunity to test that
feature. The new improved e2fsck should be capable of re-adding the indexes,
so we'll get to test that too ;-)

Lets continue this privately and see what's going on with your inode leak.

--
Daniel