Re: [OT] Re: Thrashing WITHOUT swap.

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@bonn-fries.net)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 11:32:16 EST

On Monday 25 June 2001 18:16, Colonel wrote:
> In clouddancer.list.kernel, you wrote:
> >Further to that, I followed Alan's lead and installed xfce. My laptop,
> > which was really suffering under Gnome with 64 meg (much more so under
> > KDE) is suddenly light on its feet. Not to mention that it built from
> > source in under 10 minutes and installed with zero 'interesting
> > problems'.
> >
> >After another year of optimizing the kernel to handle bloatware better,
> > and at the same time encouraging the 'big desktop' side of Linux to
> > follow the lead of these lightweight alternatives[1] we will be looking
> > pretty good.
>
> Had you tried fvwm-1.24r (the original) ? It was designed long ago to
> be lean and fast on the desktop. I know it whips KDE.

Yes, I did. It's even faster than xfce but there's one problem: it just
isn't very much like a modern desktop. xfce is, to a surprising degree, like
a modern desktop. It's roughly equivalent to W95 I'd say - more
sophisticated in some areas, less in others. Oh, did I mention I haven't run
into a bug yet? It's true.

--
Daniel