Re: Making a module 2.4 compatible

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 11:52:59 EST

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Timur Tabi wrote:

> ** Reply to message from James Lamanna <jlamanna@its.caltech.edu> on Sat, 23
> Jun 2001 22:10:58 -0700
>

> > It would be nice to have it working under 2.4, so is there someplace
> > that outlines some of the major things that would have changed so I can
> > update the module accordingly?
>
> Unfortunately, no. But if it turns out I'm wrong, please let me know what you
> find.

As a start:

wait_queue_head_t Now defined.
You can do '#if !defined(...)` and make code changes backwards compatible.

Macro, THIS_MODULE is now the first member of struct file_operations.

Include <linux/init.h> __init data type for one-time initialization code
                        or data.
This is new, hense not backwards compatible.

Explicit initialization of spin-locks, SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED and/or
                        spin_lock_init(spinlock_t *);
If you fix this, it's backwards compatible.

ioremap() and friends is now required even for low memory stuff.
You can no longer access this with a simple pointer, you must
use readl()/writel(), etc., for proper defererence. If you fix
this, it's backwards compatible.

These changes should get your module to compile (or nearly so).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.