Re: Microsoft and Xenix.

From: Jocelyn Mayer (jma@netgem.com)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 22:21:30 EST

> /> > GEM was a gui from Digital Research I believe. /
> /> > Geoworks/Geos was a seperate entity. /
> /> /
> /> Ah, the DR-DOS answer to dosshell/windows. Cool. (I used Dr. Dos
> byt never /
> /> tried its gui.) /
>
> Actually I believe GEM predates DR-DOS, and except for being
> made by the same company I don't think they were ever related.
>
> Eric

Well

I think I remember that DR-DOS was the name that Caldera
gave to the Digital Research OS, previously known as GEMDOS,
when then bought the company.
GEMDOS was the official OS under the GEM Gui,
but GEM was also able to run with MS-DOS
and TOS (the Atari OS).

Geoworks / Geos isn't a Digital Research product,
but has been developped by guys who ran away from Digital
when it has been bought by Novell...

Some guys told me that they worked with Geos
and that it was really closed with the internal
"GEM spirit"....

Regards.

Jocelyn.