Re: AMD thunderbird oops

From: Luigi Genoni (kernel@Expansa.sns.it)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 04:09:22 EST

I went trought 8 Athlon, (latest 1300 Mhz 200Mhz FSB).

Usually those stability problems are related to power supply (it should
be at less 300 Watt).
If the power supply does not give enought Ampere, and the energy
is fluttuant, the Athlon cpu really suffers.

I usually do a little overvolt of the vcore to 3.4, and this makes things
more stable. For what i know, the Athlon optimizzation does stress
the memory I/O at best, and does use the Athlon FSB with all its power.

Using the pentiumII/III stuff, you loose this memory performance boost.

If a little overvolt of the VCORE does not solve the things,
(someone also does a little overvolt of the CPU core to 1.78)
then check if your power supply if working well, and the signal strenght
setting inside of your bios (should be 2).

This is just my experience with Athlon processors.

Luigi