Re: parport_pc tries to load parport_serial automatically

From: Simon Huggins (huggie@earth.li)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 07:55:31 EST

Hi lkml,

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 10:23:03AM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > If the initialization of parport_serial fails, we obviously get an
> > error message, which is really annoying:
> [This is different to the issue that is fixed in the -ac tree about
> parport_serial getting probed for even when disabled in config.]

> The idea was that people who have multi-IO cards but don't know what
> modules are can have things Just Work: parport_serial gets loaded
> automagically and detects their cards for them. But yes, the flip
> side is that people who _don't_ have multi-IO cards are going to get
> that error.

> - change parport_pc so that it doesn't request parport_serial at
> init. In this case, how will parport_serial get loaded at all?
> Perhaps with some recommended /etc/modules.conf lines (perhaps
> parport_lowlevel{1,2,3,...})?

Can't people who have such things just put:
pre-install insmod parport-serial
post-rm rmmod parport-serial
in modules.conf?

> - people who get the error and don't like it can put 'alias
> parport_serial off' in /etc/modules.conf. Not especially pleasant,
> I guess.

That's the opposite of the above I suppose.

> - parport_serial could be made to initialise successfully even if it
> doesn't see any devices that it can drive.

That sounds icky IMHO.

Simon.

--
UK based domain, email and web hosting ***/     "An excellent suggestion /*
http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/     **/     sir, with only two minor /**