Re: Making a module 2.4 compatible

From: Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 08:25:36 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christoph Hellwig" <hch@ns.caldera.de>
To: "Horst von Brand" <vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl>
Cc: <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 11:53 AM
Subject: Re: Making a module 2.4 compatible

> Hi Horst,
>
> In article <200106241713.f5OHDItV000540@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl> you wrote:
> > Seconded! There are a few users of iBCS around here, who _need_ the
> > functionality and don't get it with 2.4.x (in this case, Red Hat 7.1).
Or
> > is there a replacement for it?
>
> Take a look at inux-abi:
>
> http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net
> ftp://ftp.openlinux.org/pub/people/hch/linux-abi

    I've tried linux-abi myself. No luck at all. Best I can tell it has
yet to reach the level of compatibility that iBCS has. Although last
version I tried was the 2.4.3 patch on the linux abi web site. I noticed a
newer one on the openlinux ftp site, might give that one a try too though
considering what happened with the one I previously tried I am nowhere near
optimistic. Unfortunately this has burned me since I need to setup a new
system that uses the new features of the 2.4.x kernels (latest rieserfs,
better smp, support for the latest ide chipsets, better scaling) which also
can run SCO binaries. I am actually at the point where I am strongly
considering trying to port iBCS myself though not sure about it yet mainly
due to concerns that I may not implement it correctly to work with some of
the latest kernel changes without understanding how the original iBCS was
designed.

    By the way is there a reason there isn't a patch to support the latest
available for the 2.2.x kernels? Is it incompatible with the 2.2.x kernels?
I recently needed to downgrade the kernel on a machine due to 2.4.x
instability but was unable to due to the lack of a patch to support the
latest rieserfs on 2.2.x.