Re: 2.4.5 and gcc v3 final

From: Anuradha Ratnaweera (anuradha@gnu.org)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 10:04:12 EST

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 12:41:49AM +0200, Andreas Bombe wrote:

> But the first example contains three newlines, the second just one. A
> thing to keep in mind when going around fixing these multi line strings,
> explicit newlines have to be added.

Some code contains very long lines (around 150 characters per line) and others
tend to limit lines to 72-80 lines.

And strings have been broken in the middle _just_ to keep the lines short, and
sometimes without caring about the additional newline. In such cases, either,
the lines should be merged or a backslash should be added to the end(s) of the
line(s).

Please refer to my patch (GCC v3 warning fixes #1) for examples.

Anuradha

--

Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.4.6-pre5)

Journalism is literature in a hurry. -- Matthew Arnold