Finding out the name behind a /dev/dsp device

From: Ilya Konstantinov (lkml@future.galanet.net)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 14:44:09 EST

Dear LKML,

(Please CC your replies to me, since I'm not subscribed)

How can I find out the module name which handles a /dev/dsp* device
and/or the full name of the Sound Card I'd be addressing by it?

For /dev/mixer* devices, there's a SOUND_MIXER_INFO ioctl to retrieve
the Mixer chip name, but I couldn't find a similar call for /dev/dsp
devices. Parsing /etc/modules.conf doesn't seem correct, since a single
module can support multiple installed cards of the same type (thus
creating /dev/dsp entries for multiple cards), and since drivers can be
compiled statically.

This functionality is essential when building an application which
prompts the user to select a Sound Output Device from a list of
installed sound cards (avoiding exposing the user to a plain list of
dsp devices). Using the mixer chip's name isn't exactly friendly, and
still doesn't let you know which dsp device belongs to which mixer.