Re: VM Requirement Document - v0.0

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@bonn-fries.net)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 22:55:48 EST

> I personally don't feel that the cache should be allowed to grow over
> 50% of the system's memory at all, we've got so much in the cache at
> that point, that we're probably not hitting it all that much.

That depends very much on what you're using the system for. Suppose you're
running a trivial database application on a gigantic disk array - the name of
the game is to cache as much metadata as possible, and that goes directly to
the bottom line as performance. Might as well use 90%+ of your memory for
that.

The conclusion to draw here is, the balance between file cache and process
memory should be able to slide all the way from one extreme to the other.
It's not a requirement that that be fully automatic but it's highly
desireable.

--
Daniel