Re: Realtek 8139 driver or sucky hardware?

From: Silviu Marin-Caea (silviu@delrom.ro)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 03:59:22 EST

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:05:20 +0200
Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@stud.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Silviu Marin-Caea wrote:
>
> > No matter what stupid things I do on it, I shouldn't be able to take
the
> > kernel down, right?
> >
> > After I replaced the Realtek with a 3com, I could see all of the 60
> > instances fighting like worms in shit, but the server survived.
>
> Did the card share IRQs with another card?

I can tell you about the present situation, with the 3com plugged in the
same PCI slot.

After looking at dmesg and lspci -vv, I see that it shares the same IRQ
with the USB controller; but I did not compile USB support into the
kernel.

PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb1b0, last bus=2
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Unknown bridge resource 0: assuming transparent
Unknown bridge resource 2: assuming transparent
Unknown bridge resource 0: assuming transparent
Unknown bridge resource 1: assuming transparent
Unknown bridge resource 2: assuming transparent
PCI: Using IRQ router PIIX [8086/7110] at 00:07.0
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:07.2
PCI: The same IRQ used for device 00:0d.0
Limiting direct PCI/PCI transfers.
[...]
PCI: Enabling device 00:0e.0 (0005 -> 0007)
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:0e.0
PCI: The same IRQ used for device 00:0a.1
[...]
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:0a.1
PCI: The same IRQ used for device 00:0e.0

> What driver did you use? 8129/8139 or 8139too?

8139too

--
Systems and Network Administrator - Delta Romania
Phone +4093-267961