Re: What is the best way for multiple net_devices

From: andrew may (acmay@acmay.homeip.net)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 17:18:29 EST

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 06:04:02PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> andrew may wrote:
> >
> > Is there a standard way to make multiple copies of a network device?
> >
> > For things like the bonding/ipip/ip_gre and others they seem to expect
> > insmod -o copy1 module.o
> > insmod -o copy2 module.o
>
> The network driver should provide the capability to add new devices.

I am planning to write or patch some drivers to do this as well as other
things.

I would want to add things at run time after the module is alreaded loaded.
So options to the module won't work.

I don't know how to use ifconfig to create a new device.

Any examples of drivers and apps that do this cleanly. The ones I have
seen are not.