Re: spindown

From: Troy Benjegerdes (hozer@drgw.net)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 19:27:13 EST

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 06:07:01PM +0200, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Isn't this why noflushd exists or is this an evil thing that shouldn't
> > > ever be used and will eventually eat my disks for breakfast?
> >
> > It would eat your flash for breakfast. You know, flash memories have
> > no spinning parts, so there's nothing to spin down.
>
> Btw Pavel, does noflushd work with 2.4.4? The noflushd version 2.4 I
> tried said it couldn't find some kernel process (kflushd? I don't
> remember) and that I should use bdflush. The manual says that's
> appropriate for older kernels, but not 2.4.4 surely.

Yes, noflushd works with 2.4.x. I'm running it on an ibook with
debian-unstable.

And as a word of warning: while running noflushd, make sure you 'sync' a
few times after an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' that upgrades damn near
everything before doing something that crashes the kernel. This WILL eat
your ext2fs for breakfast.

--
Troy Benjegerdes | master of mispeeling | 'da hozer' |  hozer@drgw.net
-----"If this message isn't misspelled, I didn't write it" -- Me -----