Re: Cosmetic JFFS patch.

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 07:01:26 EST

> > Can we please also drop annoying static informational printk's?
> >
> > > Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
> > > Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
> >
> > The later line is not something of interest to most people, and if it
> > happens to be they can research it rather than being force-fed history
> > on bootup.

Actually it has made a measurable difference both to the computer society
and to Swansea University. Yes maybe to an extent it is advertising but its
also very important as a motivator.

I don't actually think you can remove the copyrights either. It just isnt clear
if a printk is a copyright message or not. If the printk counts as a copyright
statement then I don't think it can be casually removed, at least not in the UK

Alan