Re: VM Requirement Document - v0.0

From: Tobias Ringstrom (tori@unhappy.mine.nu)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 08:05:41 EST

On 28 Jun 2001, Xavier Bestel wrote:

> On 28 Jun 2001 14:02:09 +0200, Tobias Ringstrom wrote:
>
> > This would be very useful, I think. Would it be very hard to classify
> > pages like this (text/data/cache/...)?
>
> How would you classify a page of perl code ?

I do know how the Perl interpreter works, but I think it byte-compiles the
code and puts it in the data segment, which also would have a high paging
cost.

The perl source code would be paged in/out before running binaries such as
shells and the window system, but the same thing would happen to binaries
with short life-span, I suppose. Perhaps cached executables and cached
data files can be classified differently as well.

What I meant to ask with the question above was if it would be hard to
implement the classification in the kernel.

/Tobias