Re: Cosmetic JFFS patch.

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron-office.nl)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 13:36:11 EST

In article <20010628131641.5e10ecca.reynolds@redhat.com>,
Tommy Reynolds <reynolds@redhat.com> wrote:
>Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> was pleased to say:
>
>> If they are shut off, then where's the drumming? Because if people start
>> making copyright printk's normal, I will make "quiet" the default.
>
>Amen. This is like editing a program to remove the "harmless" compiler warning
>messages. If I don't get a useless message, I don't have to decide to ignore
>it. Describing what's happening is OK; don't gush.

Yep - a driver should print out that it loaded and what hardware it
found. Nothing else.

You know what I hate? Debugging stuff like BIOS-e820, zone messages,
dentry|buffer|page-cache hash table entries, CPU: Before vendor init,
CPU: After vendor init, etc etc, PCI: Probing PCI hardware,
ip_conntrack (256 buckets, 2048 max), the complete APIC tables, etc

That's stuff that noone cares about. If the system fails to boot
boot it with a debug flag. If it does boot, _fine_.

Mike.