Re: AMD thunderbird oops

From: Tim Moore (timothymoore@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 14:57:59 EST

> Some ASUS boards (mostly P3B-F) would either freeze or self reboot when using
> PhotoShop 5. Everything else would run perfectly.
>
> Disabling MMX optimizations in this software would "solve" the problem. Another
> solution found on the web (sorry, I don't have the URL at hand) is to add two
> or three additionnal capacitors on the back of the board, to solve the electric
> instabilities that cause the reboots.

This is incorrect information. Abit BP6 early revs suffered under load
from a 100uF cap (EC10, between the CPU sockets) that should have been
1500uF. This was compounded by a weak or otherwise inadequate power
supply.

Having run literally 7 P3F-Fs and 6 of their P2B-F predecessors, not a
single one had any problems. They were the premiere overclocking boards
of their day.

rgds,
Tim.