Re: (reposting) how to get DMA'able memory within 4GB on 64-bit m

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 17:40:27 EST

> Sorry, but that's not a good enough answer if 2.5 takes the same 2 years
> that 2.3 took. Define the API so that people can at least write their
> drivers to the spec, or else suffer the consequences of people doing their
> own thing.

At which point we can also then drop it into 2.4 so that all the non IA64
architectures just happen to resolve to the same old 32bit calls via
a tiny set of #defines and the IA64 - which requires it for basically
everything anyway - can use it natively, and if they get it wrong suffer
their own problems without annoying anyone else

Alan