Re: Cosmetic JFFS patch.

From: Stuart Lynne (sl@whiskey.fireplug.net)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 15:13:24 EST

In article <993825330.30635@whiskey.enposte.net>,
Chuck Wolber <chuckw@altaserv.net> wrote:
>> Does sed tell you who programmed it on startup?
>>
>> Awk?
>>
>> Perl?
>>
>> Groff?
>>
>> Gcc?
>>
>> See a pattern here?
>
>Yeah, the output of these programms are usually parsed by other programs.
>If they barked version info, that'd be extra code that has to go into
>*EVERY* script that uses them. You're not using the kernel in the same
>capacity.

A counter example that does both, bc does tell us who wrote it
every time we run it (most annoying) and is smart enough to know
when it is not talking to a tty.

    % bc
    bc 1.05
    Copyright 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1997, 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    For details type `warranty'.
    1+2
    3
    % bc > test
    1+2
    % cat test
    3
    %

I think listing driver versions on boot with perhaps some diagnostic info
if appropriate is useful. Names and copyrights should be in the source.

--
                                            __O
Lineo - For Embedded Linux Solutions      _-\<,_