RE: The latest Microsoft FUD. This time from BillG, himself.

From: Lew Wolfgang (wolfgang@train.sweet-haven.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 20:45:38 EST

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, David Schwartz wrote:
> > If the
> > CD key is used again they just refuse to send the final key.
>
> Do you have any evidence to support this statement or is it an assumption?
> This is almost never the way such schemes are implemented. The policy is to
> send the final key unless there's clear evidence of abuse (such as the CD
> key being found on a web site or being reinstalled dozens of times from all
> over the planet).

Hi David,

It is something that I read somewhere. If memory serves, Microsoft
will allow two installs on the same CD-key. Note that this is
different from the old MS key manager, all you had to do there
was enter the CD-key. There were no real-time checks on how
many times it was installed.

This http://two.digital.cnet.com/cgi-bin2/flo?y=eBwm0Hm1h0U0c7G0A4
says, "In the case of Office XP, people can install the software on two
computers, such as a desktop PC and a laptop. But the second
installation requires a phone call to obtain the 44-key unlock code."

Microsoft is apparently using this technology to enforce subscription
plans in New Zealand and Austrailia. The software just dies if you
don't send in your mortita.

The question remains, "How many times will Microsoft let you install?"
I'll test the process starting on Monday. I have an Office XP that
has been installed once. I'll try it again without giving my name
and keep trying until I reach the limit. I'll say that I'm having
problems with my disk crashing or something. I'll report my findings
here.

Regards,
Lew Wolfgang