Re: 2.4.9-ac9 APM w/Compaq 16xx laptop...

From: Erik Mouw (J.A.K.Mouw@ITS.TUDelft.NL)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 17:27:47 EST

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 01:04:14PM -0700, chris@boojiboy.eorbit.net wrote:
> The Linux Kernel mailing list does not seem to be
> bearing any fruit with this APM/ACPI issue regarding
> clean power-off/reboot. Are there any other groups
> that you are aware of that might have interest in
> investigating this bug?

Well, you might try ACPI and ask questions about that on the APCI
mailing list (see https://phobos.fs.tum.de/mailman/listinfo/acpi ),
maybe they know about a ACPI workaround (warning: ACPI is hairy).

> I still have linux-2.4.9-ac9, with the dmi_scan.c patch,
> and the APM configured as you suggested. My computer
> bios is set to ACPI=off (even with this 'on' the behavior
> is the same).
>
> shutdown -h works correctly
> shutdown -r hangs at "Restarting System".

I hoped that the dmi_scan.c patch would make the shutdown work so we
could differentiate between your laptop and that other Compaq laptop,
but unfortunately it doesn't. I currently don't know of a way to fix
your problem.

As a sidenote: Alan, would it be a good idea to have the DMI data
available in an easy way without having to ask people to edit
dmi_scan.c? Simple proc interface, or a kernel command line option, for
example.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl