Re: Linux 2.4.10-pre11

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 00:48:34 EST

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 01:22:16AM -0400, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
> That's where I want 2.4 to get to.

yes, me too, we agree. And what I faced is that I couldn't do that
without first removing the broken mess. It wasn't possible to just make
a two liner to fix it.

> So why not split that fix out as a seperate patch that can then be applied
> alone?

It's not as simple as it seems, I noticed such a bug in the middle of
the developement and so it was controversial to fix, I should have fixed
the same bug first in the new VM then in the old vm, only the
free_pages_ok change would been non controversial but such one alone
would been useless since it wouldn't be self contained. so I did it for
my vm and I never ended splitting it off because it was non trivial work.

> Thanks! I think we'll all be a bit calmer in the morning and better able to

never mind.

> think clearly. I'll even try to break things down a bit as there are bits
> in your patches which I think are very good.

Great, thanks!

Andrea