Re: 2.4.10-pre11: alsaplayer skiping during kernel build (-pre10 did not)

From: jogi@planetzork.ping.de
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 10:35:15 EST

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 05:25:00PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 05:14:16PM +0200, jogi@planetzork.ping.de wrote:
> > Hello Andrea,
> >
> > I gave your new vm a try and I have to report a problem. System is an
> > Athlon 1200 with 256MB memory. Workload:
> >
> > 1. top refreshing every second reniced to -10
> > 2. alsaplayer -n -q -r *.wav
> > 3. make -j4 bzImage modules
> >
> > The problem is that with 2.4.10-pre11 alsaplayer is skiping very much.
> > Almost every ten seconds and then the break seems to be relatevily long
> > (like >1s). With 2.4.10-pre10 I noticed alsaplayer skiping once or twice
>
> the skips shouldn't really be realated to vm changes, if something to
> the schedrt fix. but the real issue is that you should avoid to run top
> at -10 (or you meant +10?). Running top at -10 isn't a good idea, it is
> allowing it to get more cpu than the other tasks for no good reason.

Ok, I just wanted to see the current load all the time :-) Btw. I don't
think that just one top running should cause alsaplayer (which runs
with real-time properties:

       -r, --realtime
              Enable realtime scheduling. To use this as a nor­
              mal user, alsaplayer must be SUID root.

As I wrote in a seperate mail alsaplayer skips during other activities
also, like starting mutt, mozilla, whatever ... And these are not
started reniced.

Since I am not using md there are not that much changes left between
-pre10 and -pre11. Or do you think that it is caused by the console
locking changes?

Regards,

   Jogi

--

Well, yeah ... I suppose there's no point in getting greedy, is there?