Re: 2.4.10-pre11: alsaplayer skiping during kernel build (-pre10 did not)

From: Stephan von Krawczynski (skraw@ithnet.com)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 14:28:56 EST

On 18 Sep 2001 17:51:04 +0200 jogi@planetzork.ping.de wrote:

> > You can try to back it out and see if helps just in case.
>
> Ok Andrea,
>
> I will test and let you know about the findings but I am afraid I can not
> test this today. But I will let you know. Btw. xmms is skipping like mad
> too.

Hello,

just my experience in this topic:
I worked on -pre11 for one complete day after massive nfs server usage, no
problems so far.
current meminfo looks like:

        total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
Mem: 923574272 865853440 57720832 0 66609152 629137408
Swap: 271392768 434176 270958592
MemTotal: 901928 kB
MemFree: 56368 kB
MemShared: 0 kB
Buffers: 65048 kB
Cached: 614240 kB
SwapCached: 152 kB
Active: 671956 kB
Inactive: 7484 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 901928 kB
LowFree: 56368 kB
SwapTotal: 265032 kB
SwapFree: 264608 kB

I currently compile kernel with -j 5 while playing mp3s via xmms without the
slightest problem (xosview load is now 8). I tried xmms run as root and user,
makes no difference. I tried starting applications (like mozilla or
applixware), no problem. No mouse hangs or anything else negative. I am _not_
using alsa, but emu10k1 from kernel.
I couldn't even make it crash or skip in xmms while singing Torn together with
Natalie - and listening to that _is_ real stress :-))

You only have to find some strategy to come around these formerly noticed alloc
failures, perhaps by an idea to free up pages instantly if an alloc would fail
otherwise (now). I like the overall performance very much, Andrea.

Regards,
Stephan