Re: Linux 2.4.10-pre11

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 14:41:46 EST

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> The real question is why can't we just open 2.5 and only fix the VM to
> start with? Leave the kernel at 2.4.10-pre10, and possibly use the -ac
> VM code (which has diverged from mainline), and leave people (Alan, Ben,
> Marcello, et. al.) who want to tinker with it in small increments and
> do the drastic stuff in 2.5.

I'd rather get a list of API changes planned for 2.5 and DO ONLY THEM.
IOW, start 2.5 with a sequence of patches that do nothing but a global
search-and-replace. Then treat it as -STABLE. It _is_ doable - check
what had happened to superblock handling in 2.4. Yes, it takes extra
work on splitup and doing things in compatible way, but it's not a
rocket science - BTDT.

"I can't be arsed to split my K'R4D 3133t 200Kb p47cH" had lost its charm
years ago - just look at the devfs mess...