Re: LinuxBIOS + ASUS CUA + 2.4.5 works; with 2.4.6 locks up

From: Eric W. Biederman (ebiederman@lnxi.com)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 18:03:12 EST

Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> writes:

> We can run the memtest, but I thought that a fully booting kernel was a
> pretty good one.

It is hard to call. The most interesting case I know of is the VIA kt133
AMD bug. I believe it is register 0x55 bit 7 that when set causes an
athlon optimized memcpy to crash the machine, but when clear it works.

PIII optimized kernels worked fine.

> I'll try that anywy.

I don't expect a run of memtest86 to produce any problems but it just
feels like bad memory in the case you are describing.

Eric