Re: O_NONBLOCK on files

From: Simon Kirby (sim@netnation.com)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 02:24:39 EST

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 01:05:06AM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> Besides the SUS or the POSIX specs...

Yeah, well, blah.

> What would cause the data to be read in if read just checks the caches?
> With sockets the other side is clearing pushing or pulling the data. With
> files there is no other side...

Hmm...Without even thinking about it, I assumed it would start a read and
select() or poll() or some later call would return readable when my
outstanding request was fulfilled. But yes, I guess you're right, this is
different behavior because there is no other side.

Reading a file would need a receive queue to make this work, I guess. :)

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communications Inc. ]
[ sim@stormix.com ][ sim@netnation.com ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]