Re: Locked up 2.4.10-pre11 on Tyan 815t motherboard.

From: Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 13:09:29 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

> nmi_watchdog will force an oops if the machine locks up
> with interrupts disabled (as I suspect mine did). But
> it requires an SMP kernel or IO-APIC-on-UP.

I just built a 2.4.8 kernel with the APIC enabled. It locked
hard and printed no OOPS. I had set the boot cmd line as:
nmi_watchdog=1

> > Could bad hardware do this..and if so, any idea of what to look for??
> >

> Yes, bad hardware could do it. It'll eother be a lockup
> with interrupts disabled or a double/triple fault.

When I opened the machine the first time (before I powered it up),
I noticed that the CPU fan's wires were tangled in the fan such that
it couldn't move.. I fixed that, but it could have been run before
I received the machine... Could that cause this problem you think??

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>          <Ben_Greear@excite.com>