Re: Request: removal of fs/fs.h/super_block.u to enable partition locking

From: Mark Swanson (swansma@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 14:50:04 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> You are not going to stop a tired sysadmin doing something daft. You can
> certainly create a GPL'd raw partition as a file fs (I believe someone did
> that so INN could mmap raw on a device)
>
> However you don't need to remove anything for that

But I can't distribute the file fs with my application,
because I can't expect my
user base to patch and recompile their kernel just so they can run
my application.

Perhaps what is needed is an 'inuse' filesystem or a way to make
filesystem modules without patching the kernel.

My concern is that ordinary tools like mount check the proc filesystem
to see if a partition is already mounted and it seems likely that tools
like mke2fs do this too. Sysadmins might feel that existing tools
protect
them from damaging something in use. I'm looking for a way to follow
this
general behavior with raw partitions.