Linux <-> msdos file system

From: Maik Picker (Maik.Picker@avinci.de)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 07:11:55 EST

Hi !

I got your address by Matija Nalis.
It would be veeeeeeery nice to get a reply from you; cause I'm in deep
trouble.

What happend:

* using kernel 2.2.10 with suse 6.2, no patches, no special module
handling
* usualy I mounted the affected msdos partition as 'vfat'
* the partition was formatted by installing win95 in 1995
* to use the linux file attributes I decided to mount it as 'umsdos'
* booting/mounting was successfull
* all first chars of filenames were lower case
* to rename a directory I did: $> mv /WIN95/data /WIN95/Data
* Data/data was gone !

Trying a 'norton' tool or other stuff to recover data failed.

You got ANY hint for me?

Cheers,
Maik