Re: via82cxxx_audio locking problems

From: Nicholas Knight (tegeran@home.com)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 07:24:38 EST

On Thursday 20 September 2001 05:07 am, Adrian Cox wrote:
> Nicholas Knight wrote:
> > thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou
> > Adrian Cox was working on this after I raised the issue on the list,
> > but nobody got anywhere. All we knew was that there were temporary
> > lockups appearing when anything was using the mixer.
>
> This is the right answer. The reason some of us didn't see a problem
> may actually be quite simple: we were using very small buffers in xmms.
> Once I increased the xmms buffer size the problem became visible.

Interesting, I just experimented with it, bringing down the buffers to
200ms (low as they'll go) and pre-buffer % to 0, does seem to have an
effect, but it doesn't "fix" the problem for me... Should I just conclude
that the tolerance for this is higher on some boards/chips than on
others, and that once THIS problem is fixed, it'll go away and I can
happily use my volume control again?