Re: broken VM in 2.4.10-pre9

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 22:16:55 EST

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> Thinking again about it, I guess I would prefer a FIFO-list of allocated pages.
> This would allow to "know" the age simply by its position in the list. You
> wouldn't need a timestamp then, and even better it works equally well for
> systems with high vm load and low, because you do not deal with absolute time
> comparisons, but relative.
> That sounds pretty good for me.

The problem is that when many things effect the optimal ratio of text,
data, buffer and free space a solution which doesn't measure all the
important factors will produce sub-optimal results. Your proposal is
simple and elegant, but I think it's too simple to produce good results.
See my reply to Linus' comments.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc