Re: "hde: timeout waiting for DMA": message gone, same behaviour

From: David Grant (davidgrant79@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 05:53:48 EST

I'm not an expert user, just someone who's been trying feeble-ly to get
Linux working for the past 3 months on my new computer. I have a Promise
chip (PDC20265) and Via vt86c686b on my A7V133. I get these DMA timeout
errors when I am even trying to install Linux! I did manage to get Redhat
7.1 installed a few months ago, as well as Debian 2.2r3. I'm not sure if
that was a fluke or not. The only thing that I changed with my setup since
then that might have affected things, is that I upgraded the ASUS bios at
some point. Anyways, at this point in time, no version of Linux will
install. After the installer starts to install a few packages (sometimes
10, sometimes 100), the installer halts, the hard disk light stays on, and
if I use CTRL-ALT-F4, I see these DMA timeout errors. The hard drive is
unresponsive unless I do a cold boot, as opossed to warm boot.

Sorry for broadcasting this across the linux kernel mailing list. I can't
provide any lspci info., etc.. because I'm kind of new to Linux, and also,
this bug is not allowing me to install Linux period. And BTW, Windows runs
with no problems on both IDE controllers, so I know it's not my PC. I know
lots of people who have gotten this motherboard and similar motherboards to
work. But I can't, and since I am just an everyday user who is trying to
run Linux on my PC, I think these bugs are important to fix. Or at least it
needs to be made public knowledge what someone like me needs to do to get it
working. (Although I'm not blaming anyone working on the kernel. I can
only blame the people at Via and Promise for only been semi-cooperative with
kernel development at best).

David Grant