Problem creating filesystems (and othe operations) under 2.4.10

From: quintaq@yahoo.co.uk
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 09:50:17 EST

Hello,

I am not subscribed to this list, so I would appreciate it if any replies
could be cc'd to me.

Is the following problem I have encountered symptomatic of a bug in 2.4.10?

I have just installed a Maxtor 30GB drive as /dev/hdc in my SuSE 7.0 system
which has a vanilla 2.4.10 kernel. I found that I could write the
partition table and create a small ext2 partition for /boot plus 768MB of
swap. Creation of the main ext2 filesystem on /hdc7 failed (before the
inode tables even began to be written), with "file size limit exceeded".
The same problem recurred every time I tried - and I did try various
combinations of partition size. I see the same error message when trying
to change partition table flags. The problem is identical using fdisk,
cfdisk and parted. I have no file limits set in ulimit and I do not think
that this is the problem.

I eventually put the same drive as /dev/hdc in another box running a stock
SuSE 2.2.16 kernel and creation of the filesystems completed without any
problem. I have also verified this by booting this box using SuSE's 2.2.16
rescue kernel.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Geoff